Here is how to make a Nam Nam (yummy) soup with great tasting stock, tender pork and fresh vegetables.
1. Mix the following ingredients in a large pot.
· 1.5 to 2 pounds of pork shoulder or roast
· 2 to 3 cups of canned or fresh hominy, rinsed
· 3 to 5 cloves of garlic
· 2 teaspoons salt
· 6 cups water or stock
2. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the meat is very tender.
3. Remove the pot from heat. Take the pork from pot and set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, remove the meat from its bones and shred it with your hands.
4. Add the meat back to the pot and simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning and serve with little bowls of your choice of garnishes so each diner can garnish his or her own serving.
· Cabbage or iceberg lettuce, shredded
· Onion, finely diced
· Radishes, thinly sliced
· Limes, cut into wedges
· Avocado, diced
· Oregano, dried
· Chile piquín, ground